Cross of Hope partners with Rainbow Trail Lutheran Camp to offer a day camp (similar to a VBS program). Kids ages 3 through fifth grade are invited to share in this memorable and fun experience. (Note: preschool age youth dismiss at 11:30 daily.) Older youth are welcome to act as junior counselors and volunteer alongside Rainbow Trail camp counselors. Please contact Richard Hielkema if you want to volunteer. The general camp schedule includes:
- Sondance – Each day begins with an interactive time to introduce the daily theme through use of scripture, song, drama, puppets, etc.
- Bible Study – The Bible Study and week’s theme will unfold in small groups. Bible stories and experiential learning activities are stressed.
- Music – Music is a fun, daily part of camp sessions.
- Recreation – Fun, non-competitive, outdoor games appropriate to each age group.
- Arts and Crafts – The campers make something each day that ties in with the daily theme and provides them an opportunity to bring Day Camp home to their family. Arts and crafts are generally “from scratch,” and lots of fun for the kids.
- Devotions/Rest – This is a quiet time to review what was learned during the day. Counselors may use picture drawing, journal writing, or stories to help in this time for reflection.
- Lunch – Each day children bring a sack lunch for the noon meal.
- Special Activities – Fun activities such as a talent show and water day add to the week’s excitement.
- Closing – This is a wrap up of the day filled with more singing and fun. It’s a great way to review the theme of the day and send kids home excited about what they’ve learned.